Friday, February 12, 2010

Social Networking? More like Social Netlurking!


Social Network sites have almost become the butt of a joke everyone is involved in.  If you are reading this, you probably are registered for one or more social network sites- after all this blog has elements of online social marketing.

The Question is:  What effects have these sites had on American society?


TMI:  Remember this old acronym?  "Too much information"- that is exactly what a site like Twitter is promoting.  There is this ingrained need to know where and what everyone is doing, at all times. There was a brief period in time in which my phone was synced to Twitters automatic updates- let me tell you it didn't last long.

8:00am    sexycatchick:  Donno what to do today.  So bored... :/
9:15am    sexycatchick:  Anyone wanna go see "Avatar"- Imax 3D???????
12:00pm: sexycatchick:   about to see avatar with my bff.  So excited!!!!
2:35pm:   sexycatchick:  these graphix are HELLA Cool- but this bald guy infront of me is so annoying. Ugh.
4:00pm:   sexycatchick:   AVATAR! SO GOOD! SO GOOD!   Imma get me some tacobell now.
4:21pm:   sexycatchick:  Gordito taco not a good idea.  Ill be on da toilet for a while.
6:00pm:   sexycatchick:   Oooh.  Sex and the City is on.  That shit is for real.

(You get the point...I will spare you the remaining six hours of the Day)




The Online Stalker:  Yes, social networking has become a form of Social Netlurking- creepers everywhere are sitting behind their computers and waiting for their next victim.

It's funny, but also really creepy.  Luckily, sites usually allow for privacy settings.  Somehow, I think that the people who suffer online stalking allow it because they like the attention.  My rule is:  "if I don't know you, I don't add you"


Myspace to me seems like a breeding pool for gross middle-aged men to hit on teenagers.  I am a strong Myspace-protester.  It is my second least favorite website, after Perez Hilton (note I wont even give you a link).

Application Overload:  Social network site providing "Apps" such as Farmville, Mafiawars, and the ever annoy Super Poke are fueling this Internet Addiction.  

My Name is Abe Rodriguez and I am a Farmviller...True, you may catch me on occasion plowing, seeding, and harvesting on Facebook.  Why is it so addicting?  I can't say, but I will tell you this, if you haven't Farmvilled you can't judge, you might be sucked in just as easily. 



Here is a hilarious How-to Annoy People on Facebook video.  The sad truth is that these things happen on a regular basis and you might even be a participant:

No comments:

Post a Comment